In the By Thistle By Thimble story "A Secret of Schuyler Springs," the town of Schuyler Springs was once a favorite travel destination due to its famous natural springs. Over the years more and more people moved to the small town and turned it into a wealthy resort village. But then something unexpected happened: the springs dried up. That would have been the end of Schuyler Springs had it not been for the secret held by three girls, and the clues they left behind for the one person who could help save it.
We love clue-based fun, and have created many a scavenger hunt over our years as a family. Here is one of our very favorites, created on a Saturday morning and shared with friends.
A Neighborhood Scavenger Hunt
1) Create a bunch of clues (this is easy when your husband is a trained artist).
2) Bike around town and put them into place.
3) Choose the treasure hunt recipients. Best candidates: the friends that are always ready to celebrate your successes and mourn your losses. The friends that bring you food when you are overwhelmed and flowers when you are down. The friends that are always up for an adventure. Ideally these friends live right in your neighborhood.
4) Hire a couple of spies
and send them to the friends' house to deliver the first clue.
5) Run away fast. Transform yourself into paparazzi and trail them. They won't know you are there. Take photos.
6) Once they've made it to the final destination (your house), welcome them in with a giant hurrah. Have ready a Saturday lunch (ie: hot dogs, corn and salad). Sit in the shade and eat lots. You'll have so much fun, what with recounting recent adventures, that you'll forget to take any more pictures.
Not yet a subscriber? Try a free trial HERE.
About the Author
Lisabeth Sewell has worn many hats at Sparkle over the years, from Sparkle Kitchen Blogger to Editorial Director to Doer of All Odd Jobs. Her primary role is as CEO.