There is something magical about books. Whether you read the book or listen to it read aloud, you get to imagine a whole new world separate from your own that sends you on an adventure. I read to my children from day they were born. Books and stories in our house are a huge part of our daily life. I hope that this week we can encourage your family to read too.
The list below is compilation of books that our Sparkle team has read to their children or that their children are reading. I've broken then down in the three age brackets to help you decide what books might be work best for your family — but don't hesitate to break free of the mold if you'd like! Have fun and let us know what books you love on Facebook or Instagram.
Littles (ages 3-7)
- Elsa Beskow picture books (Peter in Blueberry Land, The Curious Fish, All Around the Year)
- Marie Louise Gay (Stella and Sam series)
- Maj Lindman (Flicka, Ricka, and Dicka series)
- Robert McCloskey (Blueberries for Sal, One Morning in Maine, Make Way for Ducklings)
- Donald Hall (Ox-Cart Man)
- Barabara Cooney (Miss Rumphius)
- Maurice Sendak (Where the Wild Things Are)
- Holly Hobby (Toot and Puddle series)
- Cynthia Rylant (Mr. Putter and Tabby series and the Henry and Mudge series)
- Enid Blyton (Magical Faraway Tree series and the Naughtiest Girl series)
Middles (ages 8-11)
- Roald Dahl (James and the Giant Peach, Matilda, The Fantastic Mr. Fox)
- Beverly Cleary (Ramona series, Ralph and the Motorcycle)
- C.S. Lewis (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and its series, The Chronicles of Narnia)
- Laura Ingalls Wilder (Little House on the Prarie series)
- Astrid Lindgren (Pippi Longstocking series)
- Patrick Carman(The Land Of Elyon series)
- Judy Blume (Fudge Series)
- Sarah Mlynowski (Whatever After series)
Bigs (age 12+)
- J.R.R. Tolkein (The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings)
- Stuart Gibbs (Moon Base Alpha series and the Spy School series)
- J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter series)
- Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson series)
- Mark Twain (Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn series)
- Eoin Colfer (Artemis Fowl series)
We recommend reading any or all of these aloud. They are all fantastic books. Happy reading and listening Sparklers!
Not yet a subscriber? Try a free trial HERE.
About the Author
KC is a full-time radical homemaker and mama to two spunky little girls. She writes about all kinds of radical goodness, from gardening and cooking with whole foods to crafting, sewing, homeschooling, and mama musings. Read more on her blog The Nettlesome Life.